Zabbix has its own vocable.
Zabbix configuration rely on templates. This is the monitoring principle:
- A template is a set of applications, items and triggers
- Each template has a list of applications. An application is either a specific type of data or a dedicated software.
- Each application has a set of items. An item is bound to a specific property or event of the application.
- Each item can be bound to one or many triggers
→ A trigger can be bound to items that belong to different applications.
Example: item X occurred 3 times in less than 10mn, and item Y occurred within last 5 mn.
When all the trigger's conditions are meet it will:
- Create a specific Zabbix event
- Set an alarm level. Alarm will disappear automatically when conditions are back to normal
- Each action is bound to some trigger(s).
- An action will take decision(s) when its conditions are meet. It can:
- Run command on remote host (kill application, reboot, etc.)
- Send emails and alert users
Hosts and groups
- Each host belongs to one or more groups.
- Each host group has some templates they apply to their hosts